Pages

RSS Feed

Monday, June 18, 2007

Lance Died

Saturday night I got a call from AJ telling me that actions were being taken to take Lance off his respirator. A few hours later I got confirmation that he had passed.

I went down to the firehouse and stayed with the guys for a bit. The following day, I confirmed with the chief that I wanted to be a pall bearer for Lance's casket. He will be cremated and Greg will take his urn with him until the first house fire. This was Lance's wish for years going back, one he never wrote down but had made a point to us on a few different occassions.

He, ironically, had made me put together a memorial piece for the website with bagpipes playing Amazing Grace just in case someone died on the Fire Dept. He is the second person to make use of the memorial.

Another piece of irony is that directly under Lance's memorial picture is the picture you see to the left, which was him at his last house fire, the basement fire on John St. where I smashed my thumb.

The next two days are going to be extremely tough. I am not prepared to see his little boy, Jake. Also, this will be my first Fire Department funeral, so I am in no way prepared for what I am about to experience.

0 comments:

Post a Comment