Pages

RSS Feed

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Cat in the couch

A caller phoned dispatch and said their kitchen was on fire. I shot down to the firehouse and someone said the homeowner now reported it was a dryer in the kitchen that was on fire. The chief told us there was a hydrant on the corner. We followed the ladder truck in and tied into the hydrant before realizing the fire was at the total opposite end of the block, so we laid probably like 600 feet of 3 inch supply lines when there happened to be another hydrant almost in front of the house. Oh well.

When we pulled up I didn't see much smoke, so I told 2 guys to stretch an 1 3/4 inch hoseline off our right side reel while I went to the back of the engine to get tools. As I approached the side door, I saw heavy smoke up 4 stairs in the kitchen, but there was already about 5 guys in there and no room for more, so I told the chief behind me not to let anyone else in the staircase to keep it clear in case guys needed to bail out.  The kitchen door had an auto-close mechanism on the top of it, and fresh out of door chocks I used the adz end of a halligan under the door to prop it open.

As I finally managed to work my way in, I saw the fire was knocked down with water cans only, so I took a few guys with me to open up every window in the house to start ventilation. The smoke cleared pretty rapidly when one of my guys showed me all melted plastics all over his gloved hands. Everyone had the same, and we realized there were a few plastic trays above the dryer that they all put their hands in while moving it out to secure the gas line behind it.

A word came from the outside there was a cat inside, so I took one of the young guys with me to search for it. I searched pretty thoroughly before the homeowner came in and said it's probably in a couch. WTF?   I lifted all the couches in one room aand looked under them, but the homeowner was convinced the cat was there. Finally he came in and as the couch was lifted he went up inside the cushions with his arm and pulled out a cat, apparently scared shitless.  Who woulda known that thing was way up in there like that.

In the end 2 cats were saved and the fire was knocked down before it could get up into the walls.

0 comments:

Post a Comment