Pages

RSS Feed

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

6:00 AM Freeze-a-thon

At 6:00 AM we get toned out for a "fire in the trailer court." Usually I don't respond to firecalls after 5:00 AM unless it's an actual fire, since I have to wake up at 7:30 for work, it's not worth the lack of sleep to put batteries in some old lady's Carbon Monoxide detector. I was sleeping in shorts and a tshirt, and in a mad rush I ran out of the house wearing that, plus shoes and a jacket. Little did I know it was only 11 degrees out. I'm shaking and speeding my way down to the firehouse. Of course, it ended up being nothing. The caller smelt smoke, which was diesel smoke from a truck next door. I want to smack people like that in the face so hard. It's early in the AM, we're flying like maniacs in our cars, there could be anything from drunks to business men on the roads or walking to cars. One day someone's gonna get killed on the way to a bullshit call because the caller said "fire" when in reality it was burnt popcorn.

Bottom line - I feel fire prevention should advise people how to call in a fire when we do fire prevention week every year. It's always geared towards the children, but it seems the adults need some counceling as well.

0 comments:

Post a Comment