Pages

RSS Feed

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Glad I could amuse

It's been slow lately, so when we got paged out to a fire alarm at Felician college, I decided to have a little fun. We arrived and walked downstairs and followed the sound of flowing water and horrible sound until we found the source - a broken sprinkler head deep in a utility room. We had to crawl under ducts and through vertical beams until we could reach the area where the water was just pissing out. My captain immediately joked that one of us should go and try to chock it (technique used to wedge a doorstop or two in the open area to block the sprinkler's orifice.)

As I mentioned, times are slow so I volunteered. I stripped my gear of anything I didn't want to get wet, including my mask and pack, but kept my jacket on in a futile attempt to protect my clothing. So minutes later, there I was standing under a sieve of water flowing probably like 40 gallons a minute onto my head, face and hands, while I tried to jam a chock in something I couldn't even see, and barely felt with my frozen finger tips. The water was damn cold and at this point just shooting me square in the face, causing me to drop my shield down.

We stood back after I got it semi-chocked and saw there was a red wire gate covering the sprinkler head which was why I couldn't get the chock in there. All in all, the attempt was pointless but at least everyone got a good laugh about it all, even me. I stopped laughing when I walked outside into the 30 degree weather though haha.

0 comments:

Post a Comment