Pages

RSS Feed

Monday, November 12, 2007

Car fire on Albert St.

I was sick and went home from work early. I had promised myself not to get up for any fire calls, but around 7:30 PM a report of an "explosion" came through. Now usually explosion can mean anything from a pop / fizzle from a tv to a transformer going out, but rarely does it mean fire. I went anyway.

It ended up being in the trailer courts, and upon pulling around the bend, the smoke was obvious. John K.  already had his mask on in the engine, which i thought was a little rediculous ( i busted his balls for it later. ) I haven't been on a long time, but rarely agree with putting a mask on in the engine. It takes under 20 seconds to don a mask / helmet and tie in to the regulator, so to run off the engine blinded by a fogging mask seems unnecessary to me. I'd rather don at the front door and take the extra ten seconds.

Anyway, I thought it was a fire in a trailer, which got me a little nervous since I know how tight, messy and crammed they can be, let alone the minefield of things to get snagged on. It ended up being a car fire in between two trailers, so we had 2 exposures to keep cool while working on the fire.

To begin with we had way too many firemen around. Later, pictures revealed like 8 guys on a hoseline. Dangerous if something were to go wrong - let alone embarrassing after the fact. AJ took the saw to the front hood, which made an awesome shower of sparks that covered a few of us, making for some good photo ops.

Fire knocked down in minutes, both trailers unharmed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment